Thursday, August 6, 2009

Giving back ... but gettt so much more

Her name is Rachel she stands at just 5 feet tall
Her name is Rachel she has dirty blood hair that she were pulled back in a bun
Her name is Rachel always were these round oval glasses
Her name is Rachel and she never spoken up She looks down at her feet.
She a very shy 20 year old Lady with 2 kids
she a very little self estem.

Rachel is in jail. Rachel tell me she made bad chocies in her life. She telll me she is the youngest of 5 childern from waltham. One day she confied in me she was the"mistake" child her parents let her know. She said even at her trail she had the oppretinte to speak and said nothing just looked down at her feet.

This is were our paths meet. Monday night at the Framingham Women prizon. I started going to help out with the toastmastes meeting. Rachel like to be timer when i asked her why she said becuse that means i have a job and i dont have to speek alot and most times they wont call me for table topics

One Day i did table topics and called rachel the whole time she spoke at a wisper looking down tugging on her cloths for nevousness .

Rachel gave her frist speech he second speech. Each time i tell her I want to hear you voice i know it in there. I make sure she get called for table topics so she could not hide behind the timmers cards. Over time I seen Rachel find her voice

Rachel did her 8 speech "reashurch your topic" and Intest of looking down at her feet she looked at evey gave eye contact and gave a great speech about review car carmmas / a beeper systm for the rear of a car. Rachel spoke so i could hear her she did not tug her cloths . Rachel now looks at pepole in the eye when they talk to her she tells me becuse of me and toastmaster she gained self convdince in her self somethig she never had before and she thanked me for helping her gain it.

No Rachel thank you for helping me feel i make a diffence. Thats what tostmaster dose in Prison it makes a difference one prisonor at a time. By adding a little bit of self condence better leadership skills , better commaction skills giving chances.

The tostmaster is prison our doing the same work as other toasmaster working though the same books doing the same skills . However this prorgam can not be made possbal with out others help. it take Volnteers to go down and mentor a club. It takes money for manals it take Moeny to pay there dues. Pepole like Rachel are tyig to change there lives on project on speech at a time. Will you please help me to help them to change there lives??

No comments:

Post a Comment